The Department of Psychology affiliated to the University of Calicut was established in the year 2014 to cater to the demands of offering graduation in psychology. It was set up to develop an awareness of the importance of studying human behaviour and the societal relevance of Psychology. A psychology degree prepares the students for counseling, health, educational, and occupational roles. It is also valued in communication, management, police and social research careers.
BSc Psychology Course offered by the department has successfully completed 4 batches and more than 75% of the students from the first batch has been placed as Lecturers, psychologists and others doing their post graduation. The department has a good psychology lab with many equipment and tests for psychological testing, assessment and experimentation.
The program is designed to help students to develop analytical abilities by encouraging them to conduct research projects and experiential learning. This is achieved through classroom teaching, guest lectures, seminars, workshops by eminent professionals in the field and screening of movies with discussion. Practical knowledge is imbibed through work experience in a variety of mental health settings, Internships, field trips, visits to poor homes, orphanages and rehabilitation centers.
The department has various Add – On /Certificate Courses which have been started with the aim of enhancing the students learning experience. Remedial instruction is arranged for students who have temporarily fallen behind in their studies. It is also offered to students in need of special assistance. The department celebrates and recognizes the outstanding accomplishments of the students both inside and outside the campus. The department has Mentoring programme and Counselling cell to its credit. The department believes that both the teachers and parents share equal responsibility in nurturing the future generations.
01) To introduce students to an understanding of five approaches in psychology: biological, psychodynamic, cognitive, behavioural and social Psychology.
02) To emphasize the development of analytic and expressive skills (research methods and statistics, writing and oral presentation) which are the basis of investigation, critical thinking, and communication in the field.
03) To develop a knowledge base of human behaviour across the broad areas of Psychology.
04) To develop a strong research background and understanding of the scientific foundations of Psychology.
05) To become aware of the applications of psychology in the professions associated with Psychology.
06) To develop an educational background beneficial to a number of careers in Psychology.
07) To help students develop a conceptual framework embracing relevant facts and concepts rather than isolated bits of knowledge, a basis for lifelong learning and not static encyclopaedic knowledge of the current state of the field.
08) To develop skills in learning, critical thinking and reasoning in order to enhance their curiosity about human behaviour and experience.
09) To encourage the students to expand their learning experience outside the classroom by conducting and analyzing laboratory and field research as well as participating in internships.
10) To demonstrate knowledge of the major theoretical approaches and findings in psychology.
11) To develop tolerance for ambiguity and differential opinions.
Department of Psychology, Alphonsa College Thiruvambady, ensures the overall growth of the students through the extension programmes. These activities help to bridge the gap between class room learning and practical hands on learning. The Department organizes awareness programmes, workshops, national and international day commemorations, seminars, webinars, symposiums and skill training programmes to mould future psychology experts.
Suicide prevention day awareness program is commemorated on September 10 every year. Mental Health Week celebration in connection with the World Mental Health day is observed on 10th October every year. A workshop on Life Skill Development was conducted on 24th June 2017. An Inter-Collegiate psycho Fest- Transcend 2K 17 was organized on 25th and 26th November 2017. A one day workshop was conducted by Dr. Sherin V George (Psychologist and Illusionist) and the topic was ‘Unveiling the truth of Anomalistic Psychology.’ The second day consisted of a seminar and various competitions. The seminar was conducted by Dr. Suresh Kumar (President of Indian Association of Clinical Psychologists, Malabar Chapter). A One Day workshop on Application of Forensic Psychology in Crime Investigation was held on 2nd July, 2018. A career counselling session for students of third year B.Sc. Psychology was conducted on 4th December 2018 in the college auditorium. The resource person for the session was Prof. Mathew, an eminent career counselor.
A symposium was organized on 31st October, 2018. The objective of the symposium was to provide a common platform to the students to share their knowledge and innovative ideas and to exhibit their talents and skills. ESERANZA 2K19 was organized on 14th October, 2019. The first session was conducted by Dr. Abdul Salam on the topic ‘Bio psycho- social perspectives.’ The second session was conducted by Mr. Junaid. The objective of the event was to create awareness among students from various colleges about Mental Health day and to learn something more about Suicide Prevention. On 27th June 2020 a national webinar was conducted on the topic “Psychological First Aid (Addressing mental health distress during disasters)”. Ms. Anupama S Was the resource Person. On 18th September 2020, Department of psychology, Alphonsa college conducted a webinar on “Gate keeper Training”, a suicide prevention programme for parents, teachers and students in association with Psychology Circle. Mr.Lathif Penath, was the resource person who took live classes through zoom.